I was listening to the radio this morning and here’s the story: If you turn left into a driveway, pull halfway into the driveway and back out to go the other direction, this is considered an illegal U-turn in California. Since when?
“Never make a U-turn:
* On a divided highway by crossing a dividing section, curb, strip of land, or two sets of double lines.
* Where you cannot clearly see 200 feet in each direction because of a curve, hill, rain, fog, or other reason.
* Where a “No U-Turn” sign is posted.
* When other vehicles may hit you.
* On a one-way street.
* In front of a fire station. Never use a fire station driveway to turn around.
* In business districts. Areas with churches, apartments, multiple dwelling houses, clubs, and public buildings (except schools) are also considered to be business districts. Turn only at an intersection or where openings are provided for turns.”
CA Drivers Handbook